Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gluten Free Texas Sheet Cake

Pin It

                         Texas Sheet Cake

 

                         This is the dang Texas Sheet Cake, that I tried to turn into cupcakes and a cake, both times all I got was an OVEN FIRE!! Well I have learned a lot over the past few months, about baking Gluten Free, and every bit of it has been through trial and error!  I decided while my house was still under construction why not try and burn the house down again, and my husband had begged me to make this cake for our anniversary; however I told him I wouldn't make it until I could eat it too!  So either I master it GF, or you will have to make it yourself(which I knew would never happen)so I decided to be brave, and I couldn't be happier!! I baked the cake and took it to my husband at work, and fed all of his co-workers, and it was a HIT!!!!  The moral of this story is try, try again even if your chances of an oven fire are High, the results are worth it!! Natalie


  Preheat the oven to oven to 375 degrees,use a large 13x17x1inch Jelly Roll Pan. Make sure and spray it with Pam Spray. Bake for 45-50 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 

Ingredients:

-3 cups sugar

-3 cups Pamela's Bread flour

-1/2 tsp salt

-1 1/2 tsp baking soda

-1 1/2 cups butter (1 1/2 cups)

-1 1/2 cups water

-6 TB cocoa (I use a mix of regular and dark)

-3/4 cup sour cream

-3 eggs 

  In a heavy pan, add butter,water and cocoa to a low boil.  Mix all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl or mixer, and combine them together.  When the butter mix boils, let it cool for 5 min, and then add it to the dry ingredients and mix it well, scrape the sides, then add sour cream and eggs; this will need to mix for a good 2-3 min, scrape the bottom and sides to make sure all of the sour cream is incorperated.  This is a thick batter(if you don't mix it well enough it settles to the center and will make a big bubble,pop it if this happens, it just makes it cook longer)

 

  This cake looks a little ugly in the center, I was in a hurry and didn't mix it long enough, so I had the bubbles and that is why it looks a little lumpy.


  Frosting(or what we call the best part!)

- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar

-5 large TB cocoa

-3/4 cup butter softened

-4 TB milk ( use what you need for consistency)

-1 tsp vanilla

 

This cake should feed 20-25 people, it is super moist and delicious, but SO NOT fat free; but it is worth every calorie!

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am guessing you ment to say this is a very thick batter because I just made it and it is very thick. Also, what do you consider a cube of butter? A tablespoon ?

Natalie said...

Scott,
Thanks for the catch,yes, it's thick batter; I will fix that. A cube of butter is 1/2 cup. Thanks for stopping by, Natalie

Unknown said...

do you know of something else i could substitute for the bread flour that is still gluten free? i can't seem to find it anywhere, or do you know of somewhere that would sell it? thanks!

Natalie said...

@Kate Carbonier, I buy my flour on Amazon.com, I have it regularly delivered every 3 months. You can also buy it at most Health food stores and big grocery stores. I hope this helps. Natalie