Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cake Balls

Pin It

Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cake Balls

  Well these cake balls are the result of the house construction, I really wanted a treat one night ;so I asked the kids what they would like and they said cake balls!  So, I thought about what sounded good to me, (chocolate of course) so I decided on Chocolate Chip, with a surprise hint of Almond.  I love to try new recipes, the only problem is, is that my kids want me to make recipes they have already decided they love; they are not very adventurous!!  My taste testing  group all really liked these, and I hope you will too.  Natalie

Ingredients-

  -1 Betty Crocker  Chocolate (GF) cake mix 

 -1 cup butter milk

 -1/2 cup of butter (1/2 cup) slightly melted

 -3 eggs

 -1/8 tsp almond extract

 -1tsp  pure vanilla extract

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl or mixer, put the eggs in last and make sure they are combined, scrape the sides and bottom.  Mix for 2 minutes at medium speed.

 

   Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x13 pan, spray it with Pam cooking Spray.  Bake for 25-28 min.  Then let it cool completely.

 

 Ball ingredients-

   -1 8oz package of cream cheese( I use Philly) room temperature.

  -1/4 cup powdered sugar

  -1/2 cup mini chips

  -1 sprayed cookie sheet 

 

 After the cake has cooled completely, break it all into little pieces and put into a large bowl.  Then just sprinkle the powdered sugar over the top of the crumbles, add the chips and throw in the cream cheese and go to town with your hands.  It is a little messy, but it combines it all very well.      Next, roll them into 1 inch balls and put them onto the cookie sheet, and store for 1 hr or overnight.  They are easier to dip when they  are really cold.  Use toothpicks in the tops to dip, in the chocolate.  You can store them in a Ziploc freezer bag, and dip them days later.  Use whatever baking chocolate you choose or even chocolate chips...when melting the chocolate do it in a glass microwave safe bowl a minute at a time...if it is too thick add a little Crisco to thin it down.  One side note White Chocolate Chips do not melt well!!!   After I make cake balls, I put them in the freezer and they stay great for weeks, and are quick to un-thaw if I have guests over, or I need to take something somewhere I have a treat already made!!  

 

   My daughter helped me decorate, she doesn't like to make the balls, but eating and decorating, no problem!

 

   

 

No comments: