Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Gluten Free Death by Chocolate Cake

Pin It

                                              Death By Chocolate

     This is a MAKE-OVER of my original Death by Chocolate, that was one of my very first GF desserts I ever made, and I have never been very happy with the way it turned out.  I have been dying to remake this, but I've been afraid that I would have an Epic fail, and it would be even worse!!  I have learned a lot since I started baking GF, and the original recipe is with Pamela's Pancake Mix, love it, but not for baking cakes and cookies (live and learn, right!) 
      My goal, every time I make a cake is for to come out perfectly even on top, and smooth, but not matter what I do, how I tweak the recipe the very center falls just slightly, when the cake cools.  I do however have a fix for this problem, FROSTING, I always make more then I need, just so when I frost the cake it all looks perfectly even, if there is too much frosting for some people,   then they can SCRAPE IT OFF................but my cake is all about presentation, presentation, presentation!!  This is the GF version of the Costco cake, add one more layer, throw it in the fridge and away you go.  If you can eat more then one slice at a time, I am impressed!  I hope you like my new and improved version, Happy Baking.  Natalie



Ingredients:
Here is that thick frosting, I was talking about!
Adapted from Hershey's
-2 cups sugar
-1 3/4 Pamela's Bread Flour
-3/4 cup Hershey's dark cocoa  
-2 tsp baking powder
-2 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 eggs
-1cup Buttermilk         
 

-1/2 cup oil
-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1/2c cup hot water (not boiling)
                                          





Preheat oven to 350 degrees, use 2 , 9inch round pans sprayed with cooking spray.  I like to sprinkle the edges with sugar, it makes them slide out of the pan so easily!!! Bake for 40-45 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean when checking the center.
   
To Make:
 
 1-In a mixer combine the sugar, Pamela's,cocoa,baking powder, baking soda and salt, give it a mix for 1 min. until combined.
2-next add the butter milk, oil and vanilla, mix on low for 1 minute, make sure and scrape the sides down.
3-Now add the eggs mix well, then add the hot water and mix well for 2 minutes, continue scraping down the sides.  For some reason if you do not mix it well enough, when it cooks, the cake gets a big bubble in the middle, if you have this problem just pop it with a tooth pick or sharp knife. Yes, obviously, I've had this problem :)
4- Try and distribute the cake evenly into both pans, and smooth the tops.  Then bake.  Make sure and cool completely before frosting, or you will tear the cake to pieces. (been there and done that too!)



 Frosting: Oh how I love thee
Let me just say, I made way too much!!! I made enough for a triple layer cake, but I was taking this cake somewhere, and I wanted it to look BEAUTIFUL!!


-1 cube of butter (1/2 cup)softened
-5 TB Hershey's cocoa(I use half dark/half regular)
- tsp vanilla
-milk (as needed)I like thick frosting
-powdered sugar 4-5 cups depending on how sweet you like it
-dash of salt 


*This is my helpful hint of the day, my cake wasn't straight, so I used a serrated knife and cut the tops off of both cakes, to make them even.  It made frosting them so much easier!


                                                                                     

 
 This is my new spot on my Blog,called The Spotlight of The Week!  People ask me all the time, what products I love, so each week I'm going to put a spotlight on one of my favorite's!
I know this isn't a dessert, but it is the BEST pasta around, my entire Gluten LOVING family, loves it!!! I fed 30 people with the elbow macaroni and no one could tell, it cooks up fantastic!!!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great. tuscaloosa bakery

Unknown said...

@Jones Morris, I wish I could actually post more of the desserts I have made recently....but, the blog did some reboot and I can't get back on to my own Blog! Thanks for stopping by, Natalie