Thursday, May 23, 2013

Gluten Free Double Chocolate and Caramel Bars

Pin It


                 Double Chocolate and Caramel Bars

     Wow, what can I say about these bars, just putting the pictures up makes me wish I had some right now!!  I think these are seriously my FAVORITE new treat, especially cold, they have all of the treat basics, Chocolate, Chocolate and Caramel.....YUMMMMMY!!  I keep trying to make desserts that aren't Chocolate, but by following my Blog stats, it seems that most of you have a Chocolate ADDICTION  as well!  I made these tasty treats, and my neighbors were having a Charity Bake Sale; so I told my friends who I usually give these treats to, that they would have to go and buy them from the Bake Sale.  Funny thing, one of the neighbors who isn't Gluten Free bought everyone of them, so none of the REAL GF people could even have one, she did say all of her family really LOVED them.  Now if only I could get someone to bake treats for me, it would be a wish come true!!! I hope you love them, Happy Baking, Natalie

 



 Ingredients:
Adapted from,Betty Crocker
-3 cups Pamela's Bread Flour
-3/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
-2/3 cup cocoa(mine is mixed dark and regular)
-1 egg beaten
-1 1/2 cups firm butter(1/4 cup of butter will be used for the caramel)
-1 1/2 chopped walnuts (I didn't use any nuts at all)
-1 12oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
-48 caramels (make sure they are fresh)
-2 cans of condensed milk 14oz. each

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and spray a 17x11x3/4 inch pan with Pam (well)  The first bake is 13minutes and the second bake is 18 minutes.  Let them cool for a while or all of the caramel will ooze out, I prefer them cold out of the fridge. (so the next day)



     In a mixer add flour, brown sugar, cocoa and egg, cut in
 1 1/4 cups of butter with knives or I just used the blender and it worked great, JUST UNTIL CRUMBLY, DO NOT MIX TO DEATH.  Mix in the nuts now if you want them, save 3 cups of crust if you use nuts 2 if not, and set it aside.  Press it into the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on the 2 cups of chocolate chips.  BAKE FOR 13 MINUTES.


 
Caramel-
I'm not going to lie, this took forever to do, and holy cow on the sweetened condensed milk.  Here is the recipe, but I put a faster way to do it, you choose.  I however will be doing the quicker way next time, I wanted to scream, waiting 20 minutes!! :(
- put the 48 caramels and the sweetened condensed milk(2 cans) and 1/4 butter into an heavy sauce pan on low heat.  Stir constantly, when it is all melted and creamy pour caramel over the crust, use the remaining crust and sprinkle it on the top and BAKE FOR 18 minutes.


 Quick Caramel

-1 1/2cups butter
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
-3/4 cup light corn syrup
-2TB whipped cream
 Put the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a pan on med-low to medium heat.  It takes about 5-6 total minutes to cook, I cook it, stirring frequently, with a plastic spoon or spatula, only until all of the brown sugar has dissolved.  Once the brown sugar has dissolved let it boil about 2 minutes, then turn it off, add the whipped cream, stir then pour it over the crust, and use the remaining crust to sprinkle on top and BAKE FOR 18 minutes.


Chocolate Glaze:
-1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1/2 cups vanilla chips  
-1-1 1/2 tsp shortening or vegetable oil for thinning the chocolates 
   -Use microwave safe bowls, and heat them up 30 seconds at a time, then stir. Put 1 tsp of shortening in regular chocolate and 1/2 tsp in the vanilla chips.  When its the consistency you like drizzle it over the bars, and then let them cool and cut. 


  This was a lot of work to make , but I really think it was worth it! 


No comments: