Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gluten Free Red Velvet Trifle

Pin It

                       Red Velvet Trifle 

              

     I was struggling with what to say today, so I put the whole recipe on before I even started this.  I have been to several family gatherings lately, which don't get me wrong, I love being with mine and my husbands family; but, it sure is tough when everything revolves around food.  I hate to whine, but dang I would like to have more then fruit, meat and an occasional salad to eat at these fun gatherings, and I don't always want to pack myself a whole meal, and explain to everyone who  DOESN'T  know what having to be Gluten Free is.  I just want to walk into a Restaurant, Party, Convenience Store, Neighbors house or go on a vacation and not worry about having to pack my whole stinking house.  I want to be able to travel and have everyone know exactly what GF is, and how to assist us.  I'm done whining, I am fixing my issue with NASTY GF Desserts, now I have to figure out a way to make the traveling easier for us too.  So sorry about the rant, I hope I'm not the only person who ever has these issues.  Enjoy the Trifle it's Delicious, Natalie






Ingredients:
Recipe slightly adapted from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
-Gluten free Red Velvet Cake mix (Gluten- Free Heaven carries this, she is on the web or call 801-717-8423) They are Fantastic!
- Or you can use another cake mix of your choice and use your food coloring to make it 
Red Velvet.  You need a 9x13 inch cake or 2 9x9 inch round cakes to make this.  Or, if you feel Super ambitious, make your own!!


Ganache-
 -1 cup half and half (or I used whipping cream, that is what I had on hand)
-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

I have done this in the microwave and on the stove and they both turn out just beautifully!  If you do it on the stove, put the chocolate and the cream together, turn it on medium heat, let the chocolate start to melt and stir it all together until it is all smooth and creamy.  It takes about 7-8 minutes, when it is cooled to room temperature then it is ready to be drizzled on the cake.  (if you are in a rush, put it in the fridge for a few minutes)

 Creamy Goodness:
-12 oz. Cream Cheese ( room temperature)
- 1  12 oz. container of Cool Whip
-1/3 cup sugar

Mix the sugar and the cream cheese together, with a hand mixer or big mixer until they are smooth and creamy.  When you have mixed it well, then add the Cool Whip, and blend it in slowly until it is all fluffly!!!  

-Now that everything is made we are ready to ASSEMBLE!  You can do this how ever you like, I had my 16 year old daughter help me, so I let her do the cake part however she wanted to, hence the CRUMBLED  cake, ( I was thinking chunks) she thought it would look really cool crumbled, so we got a "Cool Crumbled Trifle".  It all tastes the same so chop it up in chunks or crumbles, it doesn't matter, I just wanted her to help. ( if you have teenagers, you understand this!)

 

Terrible picture!
            
                                         Assembly-
                                    -Cake 



                                          -Creamy Goodness 
                                        -Ganache
 Do this in thirds,  when you put on the creamy goodness smooth it over the whole thing, then drizzle the Ganache.  On the very last layer end with Creamy goodness, and sprinkle with Cocoa just to finish it off. 


 
     

                        It's not my most beautiful dessert,
                                 but it tastes really great!


No comments: