Monday, April 15, 2013

Gluten Free Sinful Caramel and Chocolate Cake

Pin It

    Sinful Caramel and Chocolate Cake

      Ok, I have to say this is probably one of the Best cakes ever!!!  The original recipe came from Sweet Paul Magazine, 2010, before I tweaked it.   It was so DECADENT, I could have eaten every single bite and licked the plate, while I was at it (and I don't love caramel.  There is something about dark chocolate, and caramel together, you just can't lose!!! And if you eat the whole cake, you won't lose any weight either.  This kind of cake should be shared for special occasions , and Holidays when you want to IMPRESS.....when I made this everyone was SUPER impressed, and couldn't believe it was Gluten Free!! YAHOOO!!   If you love Chocolate, make this cake, I promise you won't regret it.  Natalie



 
 Ingredients-
-2 Betty Crocker Chocolate (GF) Cake mixes (these ingredients below are per cake mix)
-1 cup buttermilk
-1 cube butter melted (not hot)
-3 large eggs
-This is per cake mix-

It says to cook it 38-43 min, but I swear to you I cooked it for only 30 minutes, so check it at 30 minutes, DO NOT OVER COOK... this cake will be dry.  I used 2 -9x9 inch square pans, you can use round, either are good, I had just purchased these new square ones and thought they would be fun.  When they are cool, poke holes in one cake, it helps to absorb the caramel.





Caramel-
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
-1/3 cup butter
-3/4 light corn syrup
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/3 heavy cream

Put the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a pot, if you have a candy thermometer, boil until it reaches a soft boil  then add salt, and heavy cream last.  If you do not, put them in the pot, on med-low -med, let it boil , while you stir until the brown sugar crystals have all dissolved, it takes about 10 minutes and turns a nice golden brown.  Then add the salt and  cream very last, turn it off, it will bubble when you add the cream, so stir.  Let it cool in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes, before you pour it on,  this way it won't slide off your cake like mine did. 
 
  
Ganache:
-16 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips Guittard (gf)
-2 cups heavy cream 
 
Pour the cream and the chocolate chips into a medium sized pan, use medium heat.  Stir the chocolate until it melts and the cream and chocolate mix  together and become and rich and smooth.   When they are combined, cool it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before you pour it onto the cake, or it will slide off like mine did!  

 





 My cakes are square because I had just bought new Wilton Square pans for fun, this was SUPER RICH, so I would cut it into small pieces for everyone and have Milk nearby.




2 comments:

Dave and Lisa said...

I'm excited to try this! I did have a question, what did you put in the middle of the cake as the filling? Did you poke holes in the bottom cake, pour on the caramel then put the other cake on, poke holes and add the caramel or did you put ganache in the middle?

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, there are holes I poked in the bottom cake so the caramel can soak in. I hope you love the cake!
Please let me know, Natalie