Sunday, February 3, 2013

Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake Balls

Pin It

     Red Velvet Cake Balls

 



Oh my gosh, what  can I say about Cake Balls, I LOVE  them!! Here are a couple of reasons why: they are pop-able, they freeze, so I can have treats for a month, they are portable, my 16 year old can and WILL make them!!! (she doesn't cook!) portion control, they look soooo FANCY when you take them to places.  You can dress up the outside and make it look festive for any Holiday.  I personally love having cake balls in my freezer, instant treat and chocolate to boot.  My favorite, and my families is still The Nutella Cake Balls, but these are a pretty Stinking good, they only lasted a week!  I really hope you like them, no one will EVER know they are GF, so don't tell until they are GONE!  Natalie



Ingredients:

 -1 Gluten Free Betty Crocker, Devils Food (chocolate) cake mix
-1cube melted butter (not bubbly,just barely)
-1 cup buttermilk
-3 large eggs
-red food coloring(I use food gels, they do richer better colors, I think, especially for frostings)
-1 cube of cream cheese
-1/4 powdered sugar
-white chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, or whatever you want to dip with.  I used the Wilton white candy coating this time, just to see how it would work, I personally DID NOT like it, it was way too sweet.  I like regular chocolate, I won't be using it again. 
-Crisco, which you use a teaspoon at a time to thin down the chocolate.   



Cooking directions-
Use a 9x13 pan, sprayed with Pam, Bake for 25-27 min, check with a toothpick.  Cool the cake completely, then crumble the cake up.   Use a room temperature cream cheese brick ,and the powdered sugar  and combine them with a big spoon (I use my hands) and the cake crumbles, and combine them together until it all is all stuck together.  It's a little messy, but kinda fun!  Then roll those babies into balls, between 30-40. Place them on a sprayed pan, then into the freezer for at least 2 hrs or over night.(put the toothpicks in before you freeze them).  If you don't have time to dip them soon, put them in a freezer bag and do it at your leisure.
    Dipping, I just put the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl, heating 30 seconds at a time.  Thick chocolate is hard to dip, so I always end up using some Crisco, to thin it down.  My tip is to put toothpicks in the top of the cake balls, before you freeze them, then while they are frozen, use it to hold onto while you dip!













No comments: